[unios] Re: naming (was something too long to write)

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:00:12 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> Ahm, the final name can wait off course... It takes about 5 years
> to develop a working OS, and another 5 years to get it pretty powerful and
> stable...

Yep, and by that time we will be working with radically different hardware, so
the flexibility in the design is very important.  QNX right now rocks, but how
will it be 10 years from now?  Taken over the world?  Forgotten?  What about
BeOS and Linux?  Both have the potential to take over the whole industry.  Each
is flexible in it's own right, but not flexible in totality.  Everything depends
(once we have the OS up), on the development tools and apps we can get onto the
system.  If it's Universal enough it will fill some niche market first, then
move on to fill larger ones (I've been using Linux since 0.92, almost six years
ago :).  And possibly in 15 years we'll all have our own variations of it (this
is important in the end), which are all compatible, but are set up and
distributed differently.  I don't think I mind if any one member were to package
sell a customized version of the final design.

I know this is thinking way too far ahead, but if we stick to it, the time will
come.

> > I wouldn't be too sure, judging from my own reaction. I'm speaking about
> > *Unix*, of course!! :-)
>
> Unix is great. I like text-mode sometimes, but I normally use X (with text
> terminals opened off course).  Too many people associate Unix with
> text-mode interface. It's just not true. X existed before MS Windows !
> (allthough after Aplle)

I find xf86Config is quite brutal :)  I get it set up, then I need the space for
burning CD's or something and I trash my linux system.. then I gotta do the
config again.. Back to checking out Sync rates in the monitor manual :)  I think
someone should write something to make configuring X, a little easier...maybe
something similar to the slackware install, or netconfig.

Once it's up, I love to watch those screen savers... they're the smoothest,
fastest screen savers, I've ever seen.  Not to mention they are beautiful.

BTW:  I'm sure you all got the mail, but in case you didn't Corel Word Perfect 7
(in multiple languages), for Linux is available for free download, from
download.com...  In case anyone wants a nice word processor :)

Help support a Canadian company, use Corel! :) hehehe

BTW2: I don't know if anyone is interested in a free SRV5 unix system called
SCO... (www.sco.com).  For those of you who have never heard of SCO, it's a
really stable, very kick ass Unix, however it is quite pricey... But they give
away free versions for personal use.  They do charge $20 american for the media
cost (comes with CD's and books and box).  Nice to experiment with... some say
it's as stable on x86 as solaris is on Sparc (just a rumor, please no flames
here :)

> I'm not at home in Swedish. Never been in Sweden actually. I know off
> course Ducth,French and Engilsh, but my languages don't stretch any
> further... Should learn German and Spanish some time.

Hmm... I know only one language...  Supposed to know French here, but never had
any interest, and now I can't get a government job (oh well, here :).  I really
should know more :)

--
Pat Wendorf