[unios] Re: Networked user (was: Networked GUI)

Srikant Sharma (Chiku) srikants@wipinfo.soft.net
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:55:48 +0000 (GMT)

From: "Srikant Sharma (Chiku)" <srikants@wipinfo.soft.net>

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Anders Petersson wrote:

> It sounds on you like "so what? that's already done!"

well it obviously was "that's already done !"  but the "so what ?" part
was not intended.

> That's not what it is about. The challange is to have it worked out in the
> context of mOS.

Well the protocol for NIS exists. These can be implemented.

> One feature may be implemented one one system, another feature on another
> system... but they have never been brought together in a single OS. That's
> what we're here for. Or maybe not even that - with the flexibility of
> UniOS, others could do that afterwards, ok so I already said that.
>
> BTW, does NIS/Solaris really support nested users?

Well the concept of 'nested user' is not there. But the facility offered is
very similar. (if we want a remote similarity, all the users are under root
or whatever (common) place we want to put them in). The actual disk space
will be on the NIS server. The NIS user can log on to any of the NIS configured
machine. The user attributes are sought from the NIS server. The directory
structure is mounted on to local machine using the NFS.

--
Srikant