[unios] Re: Networked user (was: Networked GUI)

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:51:16 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

>From: "Srikant Sharma (Chiku)" <srikants@wipinfo.soft.net>
>On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Anders Petersson wrote:
>
>> It sounds on you like "so what? that's already done!"
>
>well it obviously was "that's already done !"  but the "so what ?" part
>was not intended.

Ok.

>> That's not what it is about. The challange is to have it worked out in the
>> context of mOS.
>
>Well the protocol for NIS exists. These can be implemented.

Unfortunately I know too little (read: nothing) about NIS to judge if it
should be implemented in UniOS. If you maybe could point out where I can
find info on it...

>> BTW, does NIS/Solaris really support nested users?
>
>Well the concept of 'nested user' is not there. But the facility offered is
>very similar. (if we want a remote similarity, all the users are under root
>or whatever (common) place we want to put them in). The actual disk space
>will be on the NIS server. The NIS user can log on to any of the NIS
configured
>machine. The user attributes are sought from the NIS server. The directory
>structure is mounted on to local machine using the NFS.

Useful, but not as flexible as nested users. I hope you agree that nested
users should be featured?

I maybe may add that I've begun to see that many things should be nested or
at least nestable: Users, storage, processor scheduling, object trees
(managed by OIDS servers)... there's certainly more. Now I wonder if some
special concept should be used to generalize all nesting, or if the model
with objects and interfaces is sufficient.

binEng