[unios] Suitable for computers

Tril dem@tunes.org
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 19:11:49 -0800 (PST)

From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>

OJ Hickman said:
>LOS is more like the way we (human beings) work together.

Anders said in reply,
> The only problem is that human beings and computers work very
> differently.  Things that work good for humans might not be as suitable
> for computers.

That's the last thing we should worry about.  In my opinion, the software
crisis is fueled by this obsessive need to design languages which are easy
to compile.  Likewise, the need to design OSes that are easy to implement.
If you want a system that is "suitable for computers", you discount the
user and the flexibility the user needs.  My motto is "no tradeoffs for
efficiency", that is exactly why TUNES used to stand for "TUNES is a
Useful, Not Expedient, System."  It was more recently changed to "TUNES is
a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient, System."  The change clarifies our
intent: the system will be fast, but it has to be useful first.  And that
means all the other requirements (flexibility, security, etc.) come first,
before "easy to implement."

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.