[unios] Re: Suitable for computers

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:57:08 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

>From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>
>
>OJ Hickman said:
>>LOS is more like the way we (human beings) work together.
>
>Anders said in reply,
>> The only problem is that human beings and computers work very
>> differently.  Things that work good for humans might not be as suitable
>> for computers.
>
>That's the last thing we should worry about.  In my opinion, the software
>crisis is fueled by this obsessive need to design languages which are easy
>to compile.  Likewise, the need to design OSes that are easy to implement.
>If you want a system that is "suitable for computers", you discount the
>user and the flexibility the user needs.  My motto is "no tradeoffs for
>efficiency", that is exactly why TUNES used to stand for "TUNES is a
>Useful, Not Expedient, System."  It was more recently changed to "TUNES is
>a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient, System."  The change clarifies our
>intent: the system will be fast, but it has to be useful first.  And that
>means all the other requirements (flexibility, security, etc.) come first,
>before "easy to implement."

I never meant that I prefer something because it would be easier to
implement. I'm not that stupid. ;-)

I want a system that takes advantage of all strong points computers have
(like calculation speed and (relatively) reliable storage), without making
the design in any way dependent on specific hardware. I believe no
trade-offs in flexibility or whatever need to be done because of this.

binEng