[unios] Basic Hardware Abstracted Objects

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:27:43 -0400

I thought I'd bring this up, now that the idea of prototyping a
design in Java came up.  Rather than worrying about the low level
design of the OS at this moment, we can focus on the high level
design (which is more important) in a more interactive way.  So
to start the prototyping effort, I believe we should work out
what the hardware abstracts are to be, and how they are to be
constructed.

Here are a proposed set of generic objects, and sub objects.  We
can work out the methods and attributes when these can be agreed
upon:

This set is a modification of the ones found in the Hardware
Abstracts document on the UniOS page.  I modified them to be a
little more generic, and a little less redundant.

1) System
    - CPU - Used for compiling to native code on application
install
    - SCHEDULER - Used to multitask system
    - MEMORY - Manages memory resources
    - TIME - Timing related I/O for events and observing
2) Storage
    - FIXED - Hard drives, or otherwise non removable storage
methods
    - REMOVABLE - Disks, of any size, shape, capacity, and
read/write ability
    - LINEAR - Linear storage devices such as tapes.
    - REMOTE - Any storage device where the availability may be
in question
3) Network
    - LAN - Methods for communicating local
    - WAN - Methods for communication with remote (difference in
procedures)
4) UniCodeText
    - SERIAL - I/O from a video display, modem, printer, USB, or
dumb terminal device
    - PARALLEL - I/O from printer or specialized I/O channels
5) Graphical
    - 2D - Graphical Bit mapped or Vector 2D I/O for mice,
scanners, 2D video cards
    - 3D - Graphical Bit mapped or Vector 3D I/O for video cards
6) Sound
    - SEQUENCED - MIDI type I/O
    - VOICE - PCM related I/O

--