[unios] Re: No kernel

Tril dem@tunes.org
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:39:36 -0800 (PST)

From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Pieter Dumon wrote:
> Tunes is very interesting, but the Tunes programmers even want to
> implement the very-low-level objects in scheme.
> An OS design gotta be _cute_ . Tunes, however is fat, unclear, and the
> design is inheritantly slow.

Not necessarily scheme.. actually we have not agreed what to do.  That's
why we needed a coordinator :)  However, you are right, low level objects
will be controlled by high level objects.  This makes it convenient for
the user to mess with their system (if they are that kind of user).

Our design is still evolving.  Also, we just changed the name to TUNES is
a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient, System.  So we don't claim the design is
inherently slow anymore.  There are lots of people who will contribute to
make a fast implementation of our design, if it is good.  I don't think a
(high level) design can be said to be fast or slow.  Just an
implementation.

Fat: yeah, lots of features available.  But they are all optional.  Each
user may have a very trim system, if they like.

Unclear: yes, we're working on this.  I hope you will help us, by pointing
out what is unclear (or what parts you want made clearer first).

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.