[unios] Re: self-contained

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:11:15 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

>From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>
>On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Anders Petersson wrote:

>I agree we need a module system so the system knows what objects are in
>each module installed. My module system will be very advanced, with
>versioning, and you'll be able to keep multiple versions of objects.

That sounds good. We'll need good control over the version and language of
modules.

>In my system there is really no object "in" another, because orthogonal
>persistence says any object can be anywhere (possibly multiple places) no
>matter what it is, without changing its meaning.  I actually use "in" for
>many things, though, because it is a concept humans readily understand.

If there's no "in" and objects can be anywhere, it sounds like you'll have
problems structuring your system up into something managable.

>> I agree on what Pat says... except that I think that certain objects
>> introduced with the program are of general interest and should be
>> incorporated with the system rather than with the program package.
>> I guess he thinks so too, he only didn't state it explicitly.
>
>Well, any object which is useful for more than one thing should be
>integrated in the system.  And I hope to encourage most people to develop
>objects which ARE useful for many things (generic).  In fact my system is
>based on provided support for developing generic objects.  When there are
>enough generic objects, hopefully the system will be able to kind of be
>able to "figure out how" to do tasks from just an abstract description of
>the task.  Generic objects are also just good for promoting re-use.

Just my idea, even if I've never reflected on the possibility that the
system "learns" how to do things. In this aspect, I'm more on the
traditional track, that the user dictates and the machine carry out the
user's command - instruction by instruction.

binEng