[unios] Re: [Repost] A monkey wrench

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:41:28 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

>From: Faustino E Osuna <osuna@CTC.Net>
>I know this throws a monkey wrench into the brainstorming process, but has
>it occurred to anyone of creating multiple kernels? Maybe even dynamically
>loadable kernels (DLK)?  Where once the OS starts up, it fires up the
>UniKernel (default kernel) then according to the needs of the individual
>application, it would load the associated kernel?  Or the user (not the
>application) has the ability to unload and load a kernel on the fly.  Or
>give the user the option of starting up with something other than the
>"UniKernel", a kernel specifically designed for their overall wants and
>demands.

The kernel will most certainly be decomposed into smaller modules, and a
couple of them should be replacable on the fly... I'm unsure if all parts
can be replacable just like that. However, since the kernel will deal as
little with "real work" as possible (micro/nanokernel), I don't think the
need for custom kernels is as big as in monolithic systems.

>I would think the latter suggestion would be more feasible.  Having DLK's
>being loaded and unloaded every time the application runs would be somewhat
>redundant.  Instead, there should be multiple kernel architectures that
>allow the user to reap the most benefits from his/her system.  Of course,
>one major issue to this system would be the interface between the kernel and
>the application.  There must be a standardization (ugh I hate standards).

We can't bind UniOS to a certain implementation (and so kernel), that's for
sure. If I get as I want, virtually *all* interfaces in the system are
standardized, for the sake of simplicitly and compability between
applications.

>A good example of this would be, that a business might want to dedicate
>UniOS system entirely for networking purposes (lets say a print server).
>They load the appropriate kernel that allows the application(s) and the
>network to benefit the most from the system (High-security and moderate
>speed).  But on the other hand, we a home-user (like the most of us) who
>wants UniOS' power as well but the security doesn't have to be as high but
>the speed is a must or flexibility.

What you mentioned seems to highly lay outside the kernels responsibility,
and so not be subject to the DLK issue...

>In my novice opinion, this would make UniOS more diverse and flexible.  But
>it just might defeat the entire purpose.

Flexibility is never wrong. The "OS for everyone" requires it.

>- Enrique
>
>PS - I haven't formally introduced myself, I'm Enrique expert slacker.

Slacker as in Slackware?

binEng