[unios] Comments Concerning mOS Introduction

Faustino E Osuna osuna@CTC.Net
Sat, 02 Jan 1999 02:57:34 -0500

From: Faustino E Osuna <osuna@CTC.Net>

I'm assuming that the information included in this document is the proposed
elements of UniOS.  (I've seen mOS mentioned in  the past posts, but I
haven't really been keeping up :( so I'm sorry if this post sounds moronic.)

> Object axioms
> Objects live until they are deliberately killed, or all use of them
ceases.
> To own an object (be the parent) is also counted as using it. That
> means that if the parent is killed, so are all children, and the
children's
> children, and so on.  When an object is removed and someone uses it,
> it can either still be removed and users are notified, or it can just be
> released by its parent, and so live until not used anymore.

So in essence, we have a tree of objects?  But other objects (alien-objects)
can access [point to] the tree's sub-objects.  Will alien-objects, too, have
access to the sub-object's children?  (I'm assuming yes, but we know what
assume means.)

> An object by default has all rights to all objects under it.

Meaning objects can't protect or hide some of it's own member functions/data
from the parent?  Or does that mean that only the original owner of that
object can destroy it, create it, alter the public data, etc?

> Objects can be notified when objects they use are altered.

What would be an example of this?  If "sub-object" alters
"sub-object->sub-object" then the "parent-object" will be notified? Or if an
"alien-object" alters one of the objects found on the object-tree branch.
If that's the case, then what if the parent object doesn't want the
alien-objects, which don't have full rights to that child-objects, to alter
it's branch-objects? Shouldn't the alien-objects request the parent-object
for the right to alter the sub-objects? (I hope you understand that because
I can barely understand it.)

These are dumb questions, I know, but I'm really interested.

- Enrique ["Suave"]