[unios] Re: Priorities

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:33:13 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>
>
> Pat's most recent list was:
>
> 1) Flexible
> 2) Stable/Reliable
> 3) Secure
> 4) Fast
> 5) User Friendly
>
> Anders wrote:
> > Performance is the biggest hassle. I guess some effort has to be put
> > into this.
>
> I think 4 and 5 should be switched.  The user (and programmer) is more
> important than speed of the system.

This depends on  the kind of user. Each user has its own priorities. I'd
prefer speed over user-friendly. (Allthough my definition of user-friendly
is rather extreme. I think even Unix is user-friendly , certainly with X.)

> > What about 'Stable' on 1 ??
> Pat replied:
> > I agree that stability is very important, but I don't know
> > how we would focus on stability in the initial design.

Look, let's just look to QNX as teh best example: It's stable AND most
flexible AND fast AND real-time AND secure AND user-friendly all at one
time, without prioritizing one above the other. It's used as the computer
system in the Space Shuttle,it's used by Banksys here in Belgium, the firm
that organizes VISA and bank cards for Belgium. So it's GOOD, and it has
all these features.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon