[unios] Database as OS.

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:50:38 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

I hope everyone folowed the discussion about Oracle 8i.
Elisson want to promote his Database as an OS. This makes the database
engine, running on top of a small kernel, the base of the OS. The Database
also provides a Web server etc. Microsoft states that this is not the good
approach, because it's already been proven a universal server doesn't
work.

Some comments:

- I think a universal server is not a good idea indeed. It centralizes
things too much. (The first time a agree with MS. Should I laugh or weep
?)

- Is Oracle 8i a universal server ? No. Microsoft is _again_ wrong.

-  But I agree with microsoft that it's not a good idea to integra6e
everything in the Database

- On the other hand, I think it's a great idea making an object-relational
database engine the centre of an OS. It offers great flexibility. Objects
can be of any type (user, applications, music etc are all objects living
in the system), they can be persistent or alive for a short time , and the
y can be actually linked to other objects in many ways. The database
engine interpretes these links and uses , and this is where I come to
UniOS, Object handlers to perform the right actions. The database engine
itself is rather small, and the minimal database needed to boot (some
driver and system objects) is too...
It is more multidimensional than a conventional OO system, because objects
can be linked in such may ways.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon