[unios] Re: Database as OS.

OJ Hickman hickman1@peak.org
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:14:05 -0800

From: OJ Hickman <hickman1@peak.org>

Pieter Dumon wrote:

> - On the other hand, I think it's a great idea making an object-relational
> database engine the centre of an OS. It offers great flexibility. Objects
> can be of any type (user, applications, music etc are all objects living
> in the system), they can be persistent or alive for a short time , and the
> y can be actually linked to other objects in many ways. The database
> engine interpretes these links and uses , and this is where I come to
> UniOS, Object handlers to perform the right actions. The database engine
> itself is rather small, and the minimal database needed to boot (some
> driver and system objects) is too...
> It is more multidimensional than a conventional OO system, because objects
> can be linked in such may ways.

I agree totaly. That is the way the Component Framework is being
designed.
A core database tracks all the varied relationships between the objects
in
the system. This would be one highly trusted and tested management unit,
rather then many simi-trustable management units scattered throughout
the
system. The databases polocies could be implamented in dynamic objects
outside the database providing the same flexability as many sub
managers.