[unios] m-kernel

Alan Grimes ogrimes@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:04:00 -0800

Pat Wendorf wrote:
> Does anyone know if we can have the same level of performance (high >performance I/O), out of a micro, that we would get out of a "no-kernel" >or a monolithic kernel?

Have you read "on Microkernel construction"? (found on the L4 website)

> I have no qualms against a kernel, if it can do things like system bus >access, as quickly as any other type of kernel.

:)

> Does anyone know if a micro can be swapped out of memory and replaced
>with another?

I'm working on a design that will do just that! :) Wanna help me?

> So I guess my other concern is:  Can we make the kernel portable and
>flexible, and possibly run at the same performance level on all types of
>systems?

I hopeso. :) In my system the "core" module will have to be written for each
machine but the rest of the system will hopefully be 100% portable. :)

--
Computers create problems, Humans solve them.

atc.peon.net/~cyborg/