[unios] m-kernel

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:15:14 -0500

> It seems that all the work that can be done on kernels
> themselves has been done.

Does anyone know if we can have the same level of performance (high performance
I/O), out of a micro, that we would get out of a "no-kernel" or a monolithic
kernel?

I have no qualms against a kernel, if it can do things like system bus access,
as quickly as any other type of kernel.

Does anyone know if a micro can be swapped out of memory and replaced with
another?  This is just for the sake of flexibly, and can make the system
reflective (as I understand it:  adaptive to the way the user, uses the
system).  If not, should we even be worrying about it?

I'd like to point to the QNX OS as a proof system.  They say it has infinite
scalablity (something UniOS should strive for).  It is a m-kernel from the
ground up. I had a demo for QNX, and it performed amazingly, however, the system
is not cross platform compatible (in any way), expensive (for user and
developer),  and does not seem as flexible as we are hoping UniOS will be.

So I guess my other concern is:  Can we make the kernel portable and flexible,
and possibly run at the same performance level on all types of systems?
(assuming the systems in question are of similar speeds running their current
OS's)

--
Pat Wendorf