[unios] Re: Timecapsule to the past...

Alan Grimes alangrimes@starpower.net
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:46:50 -0700

Laurent Martelli wrote:
> It looks like our goal is the minimisation of dependencies between
> pieces of software. Can this be achieved with a program ?

I have been considering the problem. Saying that you had a C compiler that had
built in math headers and no OS headers at all such as stdio.h then you could
hypothetically perform any computation. The first problem you would face is that
you would have no way to input or output data so that system becomes instantly
useless. (unless you want to link the program with new data each time then read
its memory image to record its output.) C is an excedingly poor language because
it has all kinds of type dependancies making it useless for someone intending to
design a portable system. Lets say you had a "unio.h" that claimed to have
universal IO capabilitys. Now you can inupt and output to your heart's content!
=) But how should yuo go about implementing "unio"? You would have to define a
highly generalizable but still standardized IO calls. For example to draw a box
3 inches by 4 inches on the user's monitor you would say:

Uniout("square", 3,4);

The runtime library would then input the size of the monitor and then draw a
square scaled to the appropriate size or throw an ecception. This could be done
with ASCII grafx or with cybernetic implants that directly stimulate the
perception centers of your brain so you would know that somewhere in cyberspace
there is a square 3 inches by 4 inches... Still that is a fairly messy system
that could use a lot of work!!! =( Please help me solve it! I feel that a
standardized solution would be fairly trivilal to implement. A Universal
solution would require the completion of the "universal Language" project on my
website, probably requiring a great deal of work in information theory.

--
Pyramid schemes are illegal.
Social Security is a pyramid scheme.

users.erols.com/alangrimes/