[unios] An OS Foundation layer

OJ Hickman hickman1@peak.org
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:54:30 -0800

This is an idea that occurred to me while working on my own
OS design. You'r likely going to tell me this has occurred
to you all before, but here I go any way ;).

The Foundation module is the first thing loaded by the boot
loader. It consists of the initialization code, the basic
HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) accessible via a thunk
table and read only access to the boot drive file system.
After initialization the Foundation loads and runs the
Target code file.

The Target code then can be any sort of kernel or even non
kernel system that resides at ring 0 and uses the HAL
functions to manage the computer and load other components
from the boot drive.

This might be against certain design philosophies but it
provides a fix to the chicken and egg problem of loading a
microkernel and disk file system driver.

What do you think of this as a foundation for a UniOS (or
even TUNES) system?
- Albert Einstein

Omer James Hickman - hickman1@peak.org - NullSpace@MailCity.com
http://members.tripod.com/~OJ_Hickman - updated 2/14/99