[unios] Bytecode format

Andrew Coles andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk
Thu, 27 May 1999 18:05:42 +0100

Hi.

As I understand it from the documents section one possibility for the
distribution of applications is a platform-independant bytecode format, ie.
code to run on a non-existant CPU is converted into native code on-the-fly.
If not then I'm proposing it as an idea ;-) Comments? I am in favour of
this idea as it is highly platform independant and I predict that it would
be quicker to convert the bytecode into a native binary faster than it
would be to recompile a piece of C/C++ code.

Another comment, although this may be stating the obvious (FYI: I've read
the mailing list archives) - UniOS must, IMHO, be designed from the ground
up to support multi-processing. Otherwise it is time-consuming and
less-efficient to hack multiprocessing support into the kernel after it has
been written (Linux SMP, for example).

Hopefully this will start some sort of discussion (for example, about
possible instructions or pseudo-instructions for the bytecode) :-)

Regards

Andrew