[Unios] unios, a proposed shortcut

BroknDodge brokndodge@yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 20:36:02 2001

--0-818934271-994553972=:29576

i have been following the "development" of freedows since late 98.  around the same time i happened across linux.  i have now been playing around with linux for some 3 years.  it's a great os, just needs more commercial software support.

now, freedows seems to have fallen to the wayside.  after 5 years of development they still don't have a working os.  while they may someday be able to get a working system together i don't believe they will ever achieve their goals.

understand i am not a developer, more of an idea guy.  it seems to me that the main problem with most new os projects is that they want to reinvent the kernal instead of building off of another project already in place.  many of the new os projects have the same goal: a unified os that will run any program from any other os on any  machine.  thats a lofty goal! however with the hundreds of projects out there it might be possible if everyone works together.

my idea:  the linux kernal is already built to accept modules.  it will run most unix programs.  if a new os were built off of the linux kernal it would cut development time in half.  it has already been ported to most machines currantly in development (i think i even remember seeing a port for the amiga!) so here it is:  begin with the linux kernal (because the work has already been done) and begin developing the modules to build in compatibility for other oses.  the Wine project is handling the windows problem fairly well but i recommend implementing wine in a module (they are actually working on an instruction set that will allow windows developers to easily port ther software to linux).  dos has already been implemented in a module.  there's only a couple of os's left.  if everyone will pull together linux could become what you are all trying to build in a much shorter time.

it seems to me that the toughest problem is creating a working, stable kernal.  that kernal is already here.  so develope new modules for it.  if you don't like the way the linux kernal does things join the kernal development team and propose the changes.

basically we all want the same thing: a stable os that we don't have to pay a lot of money for!  we should all unite under the same banner to achieve this.  a unified os will never be possible unless we all UNITE under the same banner.

thx for listening,

mark c. west

legacytek

Mark C. West
LegacyTek

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
--0-818934271-994553972=:29576

<P>i have been following the "development" of freedows since late 98.&nbsp; around the same time i happened across linux.&nbsp; i have now been playing around with linux for some 3 years.&nbsp; it's a great os, just needs more commercial software support.&nbsp; </P>
<P>now, freedows seems to have fallen to the wayside.&nbsp; after 5 years of development they still don't have a working os.&nbsp; while they may someday be able to get a working system together i don't believe they will ever achieve their goals.</P>
<P>understand i am not a developer, more of an idea guy.&nbsp; it seems to me that the main problem with most new os projects is that they want to reinvent the kernal instead of building off of another project already in place.&nbsp; many of the new os projects have the same goal: a unified os that will run any program from any other os on any&nbsp; machine.&nbsp; thats a lofty goal! however with the hundreds of projects out there it might be possible if everyone works together.&nbsp; </P>
<P>my idea:&nbsp; the linux kernal is already built to accept modules.&nbsp; it will run most unix programs.&nbsp; if a new os were built off of the linux kernal it would cut development time in half.&nbsp; it has already been ported to most machines currantly in development (i think i even remember seeing a port for the amiga!) so here it is:&nbsp; begin with the linux kernal (because the work has already been done) and begin developing the modules to build in compatibility for other oses.&nbsp; the Wine project is handling the windows problem fairly well but i recommend implementing wine in a module (they are actually working on an instruction set that will allow windows developers to easily port ther software to linux).&nbsp; dos has already been implemented in a module.&nbsp; there's only a couple of os's left.&nbsp; if everyone will pull together linux could become what you are all trying to build in a much shorter time.</P>
<P>it seems to me that the toughest problem is creating a working, stable kernal.&nbsp; that kernal is already here.&nbsp; so develope new modules for it.&nbsp; if you don't like the way the linux kernal does things join the kernal development team and propose the changes.&nbsp; </P>
<P>basically we all want the same thing: a stable os that we don't have to pay a lot of money for!&nbsp; we should all unite under the same banner to achieve this.&nbsp; a unified os will never be possible unless we all UNITE under the same banner.</P>
<P>thx for listening,</P>
<P>mark c. west</P>
a year!<BR><a href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=tagline">http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/</a>
--0-818934271-994553972=:29576--