[Unios] Re: [GameDevelopment] Re: Help with C

Alan Grimes alangrimes@starpower.net
Thu Jul 12 06:29:03 2001

Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Unless you're feeling nostalgic, or developing embedded
> applications there aren't any reasons to use DOS, so forget
> about using interrupts, accessing all the hardware as if your
> program own the machine and all the things that were common
> practice in the old DOS's days and now are handled by the OS.

That is DOS' Ultimate strength.
It is not an OS; its something MUCH better than that; Its a *META* OS.

Each application gets to load and use the OS that is absolutly and
exactly *PERFECT* for what it is doing. (Or none at all).

You need protection and multitasking?
NO PROBLEM!!! Load DesQview or Windows. (DesQview even runs on XTs)

You need networking?
NO PROBLEM!!! Load a packet driver.

You need exclusive access to the CPU? (such as security-critical
applications including banking, medical equipment, and voting-machine
configurators)
NO PROBLEM!!! Simply check that nobody else has loaded a multitasking
environment.

When you look at the performance of DOS programs on a *286* you can find
no alternative to being overwhealmed by the astonishing efficiency of
its programs.

DOS *IS* the best OS in existance.
Now join with me and help me make something even better! =)

--
Libertarians: Left wing conservatives. =)   www.lp.org
http://users.erols.com/alangrimes/  <my website.