[virtmach] Your VM

Thomas Fjellstrom virtmach@iecc.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 02:32:27 -0600

Mickaël Pointier wrote:

> [Disclaimer: I only have access to this mailing list since one week,
> so perhaps I will write stupid/already asked things]
>
> > > Beasts VM:  I'm afraid not.
> > > Creatures VM:  Well, if you buy a copy of Creatures...
> >
> > So, why do you think VM with it's own code was a better implementation
> > option for Creatures than say interpreter, or encoding behaviour of your
> > objects over some domain-specific library? ;-)
>
> Hum.
> What is the difference between a VM and an interpreter ? For me a VM
> is a "byte code interpreter", so I do not understand the distinction.

Hmmm... In my mind a VM is is a much lower abstraction than an
interpreter.
like SNES9X is a VM and perl is an interpreter. If the VM/interpreter's
ops can be easily translated to silicon then its a VM, otherwise
its an interpreter...

just my $0.2

--
"Computer programmers don't byte, they nybble a bit."
Thomas Fjellstrom