[virtmach] Run-time code generation

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta@inria.fr
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:20:06 +0200 (MET DST)

On 1 Oct 2002, Jens Peter Secher wrote:

> > Now I'm curious to know just how widespread VMs (or any kind of
> > runtime code generators) are in the "real" world.
>
> [I wouldn't know, but] I recently heard an interesting talk about using
> JIT compilers for run-time code generation for virtual machines:
> http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~sestoft/rtcg/

JITs for dynamic programming languages have been around (and performing
much better than Java) for 20 years.  (Although no doubt it won't be long
before Microsoft claims to have invented them specifically for the CLR. ;)
I was more interested in applications of VMs and codegen to domains other
than end-user application-oriented programming languages.

Ian