[virtmach] VMs in the "real" world?

Stephen Pelc Stephen Pelc <sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk>
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:21:34 +0100

Ian Piumarta wrote:
> Now I'm curious to know just how widespread VMs (or any kind of
> runtime code generators) are in the "real" world.  Where do they
> crop up?  Who uses them?  Why?

The two major reasons are:
1) platform independence
2) Code density

Both of these are illustrated by the OTA (Open Terminal
Architecture) system whose specifications are deep inside the
smart card section at www.europay.com.

We have also put VMs inside mobile phones to reduce the size of
the games.

One of our customers was distributing software updates to remote
dataloggers over a 1200 baud modem. He had to distrubute 2Gb in
total for each update. A VM would have saved him a lot of money
and time.

> The "Inside VFX" paper is interesting and although there are
> no compilation times reported in it I'll bet this thing is
> *fast*.
yes, the VFX code generator is fast and produces good code.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
tel: +44 23 80 631441, fax: +44 23 80 339691