GC performance - was Re: [gclist] GC topics

Charles Fiterman cef@geode.geodesic.com
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:47:24 -0600

> In any case, I think we agree on the fact that precise GC is far easier,
> and globally more reliable and faster than conservative GC's...

I also prefer precise GC becaues it allows moving stratagies like
generational collection. But I think there may be a compromise
strategy for you.

We can allocate leaf objects. These land in separate pages from
non leaf objects. This makes scanning much faster. In generating
for YAFL you can tell leaf objects from non leaf objects and
generate the proper malloc.

As another alternative we do have a precise wrapped pointer collector.
This would require generating C++.