[gclist] Web hosts for the FAQ

Seth M. LaForge sethml@ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue, 05 Mar 1996 11:45:29 -0800

> Mike Spertus wrote:
> > In general, I am a bit concerned about the emphasis of the FAQ. I
> > don't think that the lack of detailed technical information on GC
> > algorithms is really what is holding GC back. I think that the
> > site should have a technical backbone but spend most of its effort
> > orienting people to a GC mindset (without being fluff) and then
> > have pointers to the GC paper repository, etc.

Kaelin Colclasure responds:
> I tend to disagree.  The people who're most likely to read the FAQ are
> those already considering either incorporating GC or using a GC'd language
> in their work/project/etc.  Yes, the FAQ should point out the advantages
> and address some of the myths-- but it should also provide a consolidated
> overview of the technology available (which I believe it is shaping up
> to do nicely).

I agree with both - I think that the FAQ should have both a "why GC is
necessary" section and a "GC techniques and technology" section.  It
might even be suitable to make two FAQs.  I think that there will be
two main uses for this FAQ.  Use one: I end up reasonably often trying
to convince my friends that GC is a Good Thing; having something
eloquent and convincing to point them at would be very nice.  Use two:
if I'm implementing or choosing a GC, or simply curious about the
topic, I want a list of GC techniques and a discussion of the
tradeoffs involved.

Seth