[LispM] Re: Nevermore

nyef at lisphacker.com nyef at lisphacker.com
Fri Oct 14 16:38:30 PDT 2005

Brad Parker writes:

> Ah.  I took over the domain unlambda.com and tried to reconstruct the
> site as best I could.  Both Al Kossow and I ask for a tar of the old
> site but didn't get one...  To bad - I would have been more than happy
> to host the archive and mailing list.
>
> If anyone has an archive or knows where one is, please let me know.

As I said, I have most or all of an archive. It has one or two private
messages in it and many messages are dupes, so it'd take a little while for
me to sort it all out into something usable. I'll certainly think about
cleaning it up so we can have a mirror.

> also, I think kappa is gone or in storage.

That explains why I stopped getting the monthly mailing list notifications,
then.

>>Looks good. The description is a touch outdated, but that's probably my
>>fault (you ripped it from the README, which I need to update).
>
> I did - hope that's ok.  I'll post anything you write (well, most
> anything :-)

I'm unlikely to write anything unprintable in the README. ^_-

>>Heh. That might come in handy once we get down to nailing down the edge
>>conditions on the CPU and writing up some docs. We can figure out what's up
>>with the 33rd bit on the ALU, for example. Maybe come up with some tests to
>>check the behavior of the ALU (since, ah, the EXPT tests only test one ALU
>>instruction).
>
> Funny you should mention that 33rd bit.  I had some "issues" with that
> recently and finally (duh) went back and started looking at the real
> hardware...  working on the verilog version has been fun.  I suspect
> that there is another latent bug (in usim) when rotating the results of
> the ALU, but I have never looked into it (but will).
>
> btw: what's a hummingbird?  is there a taxonomy of explorer
> internal/external names somewhere?

Not that I remember. The ones I'm aware of are the CPU names of Raven (Exp
I) and Hummingbird (Exp II/mX), and that something related to the initial
Explorer was referred to as "Chaparral" (possibly the entire system, the
actual process scheduler function is known as
process-scheduler-for-chaparral). Obviously, they were big on bird names.

There may be some more information in the lispm-hackers archives.

> -brad

 --Alastair Bridgewater