Dreaming in Lisp.

Fare Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:43:09 +0200 (MET DST)

> Here's something I'd like to see from LispOS:
>
> I think it'd be amazingly cool to be able to compile C code to Lisp
> and run it under LispOS running on top of Linux, instead of compiling
> it to a binary & running it normally?
Sure.
Of course, because C is so low-level, this would require
reconstructing the high-level information from the C crap.
See the Tunes HLL metatranslator Ctranslator subproject
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/Subprojects.html#Ctranslator

> I'd imagine the C compiler on the Lisp machines must have provided
> something like this.
I think they did something like a low-level emulation of the ANSI C
virtual machine model, having pointers through (object+index) stuff,
hence, yielding relatively slow code, which is enough for most
of anyone's need of C programs.

== Fare' -- rideau@ens.fr -- Franc,ois-Rene' Rideau -- DDa(.ng-Vu~ Ba^n ==
                TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System