TOO MUCH VOLUME -- a proposal

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Mon, 12 May 1997 17:30:42 -0700

>Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 19:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jean-Philippe Theberge <yesod@cam.org>
>To: mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de
>Subject: Re: TOO MUCH VOLUME -- a proposal

>    Marc> Fare Rideau <rideau@ens.fr> wrote:
>    >> there is definitely TOO MUCH volume on the LispOS mailing list,
>
>    Marc> If the flooding of people's mailbox is the problem, I
>    Marc> suggest simply to carry this back to comp.lang.lisp and
>    Marc> comp.lang.scheme, possibly with a common prefix in the
>    Marc> subject line.

>A question:  How are newsgroups created?
>Is it possible to make a new comp.lang.lispos?
>If so, i think this can be a good idea, i'm becoming overloaded with email too...

  Inorder to create a new newsgroup in the comp hierarchy, you have to
go thru and RFP process, followed by a CFV stage. You need at least a
100 yes votes and you have to have at least twice as many yes votes
than no votes. The votes are counted by an independant person. It's a
rather time consumming process. If you were to go that route, the
group would/should be called comp.os.lispos. Oh, you'll need a charter
too. A much simpler route is creating a group called alt.os.lispos.
Anyone can create an alt group. The problem is that not every site
carries the alt groups, so you've reduced the number of people who can
participate.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com