Some collections types renamed

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Mar 4 18:08:08 PST 2003

Hello all,

After some deliberation (really, this has been debated several times
already), Lee and I decided a few things about the Collections hierarchy,
which have now been implemented, tested, and documented in the reference
manual.

1) OrderedCollection was determined to have an inappropriate name. The
name is now "ExtensibleSequence", just to distinguish it meaningfully;
after all, Sequences /are/ "ordered collections".

2) In line with this, SortedCollections were renamed to "SortedSequences",
to be more specific about the type, and to allow for other kinds of
sortings to be expressed in the future.

3) ArrayedCollection was not serving any effective purpose, and
parametrized Arrays do not need to be distinguished from other Sequences.
So, the relevant methods were moved up to Sequence, which makes them quite
a bit more generic. Particularly, merge-sorts were moved up as well as
caseOf:. This makes String and Array inherit straight from Sequence. I
suppose to be proper, String should inherit from Array, but there's little
advantage at this point (until we're bootstrapped when we have some more
control over types).

I'm also putting together an itemized list of alterations from Smalltalk,
to help identify everything that needs to be done to support a Smalltalk
environment within Slate when that is desirable.

mailto:water at tunes.org