I'm happy with Aug 7, 16h19 VM, but will requires: work soon?

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Sun Aug 8 00:49:00 PDT 2004

Paul Dufresne wrote:

> I have downloaded new alpha files (Aug 7, 16h19).
>
> I compiled a new vm.exe file with them and tried with latest CVS sources.
>
> Clearly, the abort expression works.
> Even on 5 / 0 .
>
> I was able to generate a new VM with it's bootstraped image (just for
> testing).

This is good to hear.

> The only thing that don't seems to work yet is the requires:
> I've made a simple reqtest.slate:
> ===
> requires: {#Toti}.
> provides: {#Toto}.
>
> _ at lobby tellme
> [
>  'but I have nothing to say to you!'
> ]
> ===
>
> And I am able load: it without problem, and then ask tellme.
>
> So should I understand that the new module system will have to wait
> after 0.3?

Yes, it will. Even if I get requires:/provides: working correctly, there
are some other issues with the system that are totally un-addressed and
are not necessary to have a fully-functioning Slate system, so it'll wait.

> I'd like to congratulate Lee for it's latest speed and debugging
> enhancements.

As would I. He's really amazing at this kind of work.

> I know you are putting very much time and efforts for giving us this new
> version very soon. And we say: 'there is a problem with that and with
> this',
> but in fact I think others will admit that we are amazed by the work
> done lately.

Thanks.