The Brick hardware platform is back tentatively.

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Mon May 10 03:08:23 PDT 2004

Hi Slaters,

After much thought on the nature of hardware abstraction, my little
hardware project for a simple system to run a slate engine on has
changed in all but the webpage graphics.

I have actually found a chip that does 90 to 99.9% of what I need and
even in a quad-flat-pack IC package (ie, I can design and assemble it
on my own without an electronics frabrication facility -- though 3
months ago I moved to Qingdao, which is the electronics fabrication
capital of east China, so possibly no biggie if I do want to run off a
few hundred ;-) so this should be doable by a humble hardware tech.
like myself. Possibly even on a 2-sided board if I resort to wire
links occasionally. I'm trying to get a datasheet from the
manufacturer now.

My new university is in the process of transfering campuses across a
province. The EE dept arrives next term (out my window I see they are
just putting the 5th floor on the EE building now) so there are
possibilities for prototyping help there too.

The very preliminary and tentative version of what passes for a spec
is here:

http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~glenalec/brick/index.html

ready for suggestions/shredding/accusations-of-idiocy from interested
people.

Regards, Glenn Alexander

Glenn Alexander
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~glenalec

I use GNU/Linux: http://www.gnu.org / http://www.linux.org
from Debian: http://www.debian.org