PowerPC CPU architecture Q

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Mon May 17 16:30:51 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am wondering what opinion is on PowerPC architecture performance for
this (Slate) type of dynamic compilation. My own readings indicate
that the PowerPC instruction set, while a lot better than x86, is
still rather convoluted. How -in general - would PowerPC stack up
against RISC CPUs with much simpler ISAs for dynamic compilation? I'm
sure it is a lot more complex than just having a simple ISA! Just
after general impressions, not benchmarked proofs.

Regards, Glenn