PowerPC CPU architecture Q

Lee Salzman lsalzman at telerama.com
Mon May 17 17:14:00 PDT 2004

Well, for dynamic compilation, the simplicity of the instruction set
isn't so much the big deal. It's just that if the instruction set has
some hard to use features, such as SIMD, then these things will tend not
to get used at all. They require analyses that are too expensive
to use in anything but static/explicit compilation. You can't use something
pervasively and implicitly if it needs analyses that cost far more than the
cumulative running time of the optimized code!

You want code generation to be cheap, and a simpler processor ISA
perhaps means just the opposite. Take a look at just about any VLIW
processor and especially the Itanium.

Aside from that, any architecture that is compiler-friendly in general
is very good. The PPC is rather compiler-friendly. Moreso than the x86,
but not terribly much more. Lots of registers - good. Fairly uniform
instruction set - good. Reasonable but not oversimplified addressing
modes - also really good. Some oddities in the instruction encoding.
Overall, though, still quite good.

Lee