Does it make sense to remove slots ?

Massimo Dentico m.dentico at virgilio.it
Mon Nov 8 07:18:48 PST 2004

Peter van Rooijen wrote:

> Massimo Dentico wrote:
>
>> Sorry, the term "object" is so confused and overloaded that for
>> a moment I forgot its meaning in Slate.
>
> Ehh, what IS the meaning of object in Slate? I usually think of an
> object as being "anything you can send a message to". I wonder if that
> is compatible with the Slate view.

As stated in the Slate manual, *everything* in Slate is an object,
even code blocks:

    2.1 Objects: http://slate.tunes.org/doc/progman/node7.html

I think they intended to capture this meaning:

    "A unified term to manipulate computer abstractions. ..."
    http://cliki.tunes.org/Object

So the vagueness of the term is on purpose, deliberate. This
means that every abstraction is first-class, subject to manipulation.

If you want to speak about something more specific (prototypes,
slots, methods, messagges, ...) you *must* use a more specific
term.

>> Well, I remember that in the series of articles by Chris Date
>> pointed out by me, "WHAT DOES SUBSTITUTABILITY REALLY MEAN?"
>>
>>    http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/626998.htm
>
> I'm very interested in reading his views on this but could only locate
> part 1 and part 2 of the article. Anyone have the link to the rest? Or
> the whole thing somewhere?
>
> Cheers and thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

Yes, the editor forgot to link to other parts of the article:

Part 1: http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/626998.htm
Part 2: http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/626996.htm
Part 3: http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/626987.htm
Part 4: http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/626958.htm