New feature: extensible bootstrap, more standard libraries

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Feb 1 11:07:34 PST 2005

Hi all,

I've added a hook to the bootstrap process whereby all of the
post-core-library convenience code is allocated in a separate file,
src/mobius/vm/post-load.slate.

The contents of this file will be processed along with the normal
bootstrap, so changing it and incorporating those changes cleanly will
at worst require a new bootstrap.

However, an important use of this file will be to load other library
files. This allowed removing many non-critical libraries from the Slate
bootstrap proper, and also allows inclusion of the map/role protocol
(from src/mobius/vm/interp/map.slate), the inspector, the object-path
library, and so on. This also means that if you want to change any of
those libraries' contents, it can be done without a bootstrap, since
post-load.slate is evaluated /after/ all other libraries (in other
words, when you start up an image that we distribute).

I've also included a banner to explain this while the startup process
occurs and also a reminder and example code to save the resulting
image.

I don't have time to finish my current bootstrap and upload images to
the alpha area, but perhaps someone else will be able to today; in any
case, there will be a new set by the end of the day, and I'll reply
when it's available.

Enjoy!