Trouble getting slate gui started from instructions

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Apr 5 18:06:19 PDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Timmy Douglas wrote:

> Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:
>
>> Second, windows.slate starts with "ensureNamespace: #Windows ..."
>> which conflicts with a new REPL feature where the implicit context
>> is another namespace that delegates to the lobby, not the lobby
>> itself (part of an attempt to make persistent REPL workspaces).
>>
>> I have uploaded a patch that fixes this (to "lobby ensureNamespace:
>> #Windows ..." and cleans up some other code in the same file. Let me
>> know if that works.
>
> ok i got the darcs main repos and rebuilt it and:

Okay. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it myself since the setup
on this machine won't build against cairo correctly.

The #formats bug in cairo.slate can be traced to (using grep) line
56, which I have patched and uploaded.

I'll try to fix my build issue tonight and figure out the rest of the
bugs. Thanks.

> timmy at main ~/src/slate/slate/main $ ./vm -i sdl.image
> Slate: Growing heap to 9465396 bytes.
> Nil
> Slate 1> repl noviceMode: False.
> False
> Slate 2> load: 'src/plugins/sdl-windows/windows.slate'.
> Library slate-windows was successfully loaded.
> Nil
> Slate 3> load: 'src/plugins/cairo/cairo.slate'.
> Library slate-cairo was successfully loaded.
> The following condition was signaled:
> The method #formats was not found for the following arguments:
> {lobby}
>
> The following restarts are available:
> 0)      Abort evaluation of expression
> 1)      Quit Slate
>
> Enter 'help.' for instructions.
> Debug [0..1]: frame.
> [defaultHandler]
>
> Anonymous arguments:
> 0: ("MethodNotFound" handlers: {}. exitContinuation: [(arity: 1)].
> returnContinuation: [(arity: 1)].
>     message: ("Message" ...))

Incidentally, you usually have to move up four ("up: 4") frames to
get to an interesting one (the source of the error). An interesting
addition would be an automated way to achieve that (since it's not
always the same four frames or even four frames at all).