Trouble getting slate gui started from instructions

Timmy Douglas timmy+slate at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 8 11:54:28 PDT 2006

Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:

> On Apr 5, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Timmy Douglas wrote:
>
>> Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:
>>
>>> Second, windows.slate starts with "ensureNamespace: #Windows ..."
>>> which conflicts with a new REPL feature where the implicit context
>>> is another namespace that delegates to the lobby, not the lobby
>>> itself (part of an attempt to make persistent REPL workspaces).
>>>
>>> I have uploaded a patch that fixes this (to "lobby
>>> ensureNamespace: #Windows ..." and cleans up some other code in
>>> the same file. Let me know if that works.
>>
>> ok i got the darcs main repos and rebuilt it and:
>
> Okay. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it myself since the setup
> on this machine won't build against cairo correctly.
>
> The #formats bug in cairo.slate can be traced to (using grep) line
> 56, which I have patched and uploaded.
>
> I'll try to fix my build issue tonight and figure out the rest of
> the bugs. Thanks.

Have you had time to work on this? I'd like to be able to help but
I'm still a little new to the slate environment. Here is the error:

The following condition was signaled:
The method #Cairo was not found for the following arguments:
{lobby}

(some time later)

Debug [0..1]: down.
[do:]

Anonymous arguments:
0: {("Association" ...). ("Association" ...). ("Association" ...). ("Association" ...)}
1: [(arity: 1)]
2: 0
3: 4

Debug [0..1]: down.
[| :entry |
  Cairo formats addSlot: entry key valued: entry value
]

Cairo

entry: ("Association" key: #argb32. value: 0)
Debug [0..1]:

It looks like to me that it some how got the first pair into the
'Cairo formats' namespace, but then it couldn't find Cairo the second
time in the do block. So I don't really get the error that much. Or
maybe there was some parser error after the do (where did the period
go?) and the Cairo from two lines down got sucked in.

Also I had a question about how to find documentation. For example if
I want to look up something like define: or addSlot:valued: or
compareAndHashUsingSlots:, where would I look? Would I just have to
grep the codebase? I couldn't find this kind of stuff in the index of
the online docs I was looking at. I'm just wondering the best way.

This summer (in about five weeks) I'll have more time to work on slate
and hopefully getting some sort of usable ui working.