release 0.0.0.17

Rainer Blome rainer@physik3.gwdg.de
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 17:16:54 +0200

hi faré,

you asked for comments about the tunes pages.  here are some:

you tend to omit/forget words and particles, especially prepositions and
adverbial endings.  i frequently don't know which preposition to use, then
i just pick one.  see the attached diff for the glossary

sometimes, you're too sloppy (in the Changelog):
- 	will show I hope that I (Faré) am not an extremist.
+ 	will hopefully show that I (Faré) am not an extremist.

sorry, i don't have gnudiff:

diff -C 2 /home/color/rainer/..nam/cs/tunes/doc/www/Glossary.html.\~1.1\~ /home/color/rainer/..nam/cs/tunes/doc/www/Glossary.html
*** /home/color/rainer/..nam/cs/tunes/doc/www/Glossary.html.~1.1~	Mon Jun 12 17:06:08 1995
--- /home/color/rainer/..nam/cs/tunes/doc/www/Glossary.html	Mon Jun 12 17:05:35 1995
***************
*** 37,41 ****
  <LI><A NAME="administration"><H3>Administration</H3></A>
  <DD>
! The fact of managing <A HREF="#information">information</A>
  about people or computer objects,
  that is not directly needed as an important result,
--- 37,41 ----
  <LI><A NAME="administration"><H3>Administration</H3></A>
  <DD>
! The act of managing <A HREF="#information">information</A>
  about people or computer objects,
  that is not directly needed as an important result,
***************
*** 74,77 ****
--- 74,85 ----
  is the amount of <A HREF="#information">information</A> of
  a system that has two possible equally probable states.
+
+ 	<p>
+ 	provided that you mean `of equal probability', this is at
+ least debatable and i'd say unsettled.  in the physical info theory
+ you might be right, but it doesn't make sense to say that the two
+ states of a bit have equal probability in the context of computers.
+
+ <p>
  For example, such system can be
  a digit in radix two, that can be zero or one, or
***************
*** 188,191 ****
--- 196,203 ----
  <LI><A NAME="communism"><H3>Communism</H3></A>
  <DD>
+ by being so harsh, you invite debates about words.
+ maybe you can say `obviously inferior' or sth like that.
+ are you trying to defend against any accusation that you're a commie? ;-)
+ i think you should cancel the entry.
     A silly and criminal theory that had truely evil results,
  that denies <A HREF="#liberalism">liberalism</A>,
***************
*** 217,224 ****
  having to rewrite everything from scratch.
  <DD>
!    It is the freedom not being subjugated to a computer vendor
  ever after you finally choose between huge monolithic pieces of software.
  <DD>
!    It is the freedom not having to buy ever bigger computers to
  support ever growing packages that contain ever more features you do not
  need and not the ones you do need.
--- 229,236 ----
  having to rewrite everything from scratch.
  <DD>
!    It is the freedom of not being subjugated to a computer vendor
  ever after you finally choose between huge monolithic pieces of software.
  <DD>
!    It is the freedom of not having to buy ever bigger computers to
  support ever growing packages that contain ever more features you do not
  need and not the ones you do need.
***************
*** 241,245 ****
  (see <A HREF="#cybernetics">Cybernetics</A>), so that we do
  not have to repeat them extensively.
!    We just need point out that the same arguments apply to
  the computer market as well as any market.
  <P>
--- 253,257 ----
  (see <A HREF="#cybernetics">Cybernetics</A>), so that we do
  not have to repeat them extensively.
!    We just need to point out that the same arguments apply to
  the computer market as well as any market.
  <P>
***************
*** 404,408 ****
     The opposite of <A HREF="#centralized">centralized</A>.
  <DD>
!    Not obeying to a one guide, chief, fuhrer, duce, or
  grand beloved allmighty allknowing leader.
  <DD>
--- 416,420 ----
     The opposite of <A HREF="#centralized">centralized</A>.
  <DD>
!    Not obeying to a one guide, chief, führer, duce, or
  grand beloved allmighty allknowing leader.
  <DD>
***************
*** 430,434 ****
  <DD>
     It appears that the main errors we fight are due to a static view of
! a world that is essential dynamic.
  <P>
  <BR>
--- 442,446 ----
  <DD>
     It appears that the main errors we fight are due to a static view of
! a world that is essentially dynamic.
  <P>
  <BR>
***************
*** 441,448 ****
  some category of dumb people for whom computers would be made.
  <DD>
!    Actually, dumbess or intelligence are quite independent from
  people's technical knowledge.
     By despising people like that, the computer industry only manages to
! disgust people from using computers.
  <P>
  <BR>
--- 453,460 ----
  some category of dumb people for whom computers would be made.
  <DD>
!    Actually, dumbness or intelligence are quite independent from
  people's technical knowledge.
     By despising people like that, the computer industry only manages to
! discourage people from using computers.
  <P>
  <BR>
***************
*** 456,463 ****
  physical world happens to be.
  <DD>
!    Basic theorems about a such dynamical systems assert that in a closed
  system, entropy globally increases with time; that is, information is
  being lost, and the system evolves toward a state more and more
! undistinguishable, less specific, more probable.
  <DD>
     Is the opposite of <A HREF="#information">information</A>.
--- 468,476 ----
  physical world happens to be.
  <DD>
!    Basic theorems about such dynamical systems assert that in a closed
  system, entropy globally increases with time; that is, information is
  being lost, and the system evolves toward a state more and more
! undistinguishable (this word doesn't sound right, what's the right
! one?), less specific, more probable.
  <DD>
     Is the opposite of <A HREF="#information">information</A>.

gotta go ...

bye, rainer