InterLanguage Connectivity Solutions

Francisco J. Ballesteros nemo@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 16:30:50 +0100

Eric W. Biederman writes:

 > The issue of how to interface multiple languages together, has never
 > been terribly difficult, but it has been a lot of work.  Having
 > programs in multiple languages communicate can be made a lot simpler.
 > The best approach I have seen is to have a ``interface definition
 > language'' (IDL) and multiple compiler for it that create stubs in
 > various languages.  If we could use this technique and let the

Probably it'd be even better if interface definition and interface
representation could be separate things. The point is to have one
language (IDL) to define interfaces, and then a representation
language (PDL) to specify how your language represents things and
what's the call convention. That way you don't need to build a new
stub generator for every new language you're going to support. I don't
remember exactly but have read this idea in some recent paper...

  -Nemo.