Having time&knowledge

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 01:16:12 +0100

On Sat, Nov 28, 1998 at 11:29:23AM -0500, dufrp@oricom.ca wrote:
> Like you can see we are just a few here, and the only thing our
> leader does well is to not give up the project.
Sad but true :( :( :(

> As far as I know,
> he has no clear ideas on how the reflective system should be
> implemented. He seems to have no time to put on the project.
I have *some* clear ideas. But obviously, there's something
concrete I lack.

> But he's the only one that accept the role of leader.
I know I'm a poor leader, and am ready to give away
this role should someone stand up with leadership.

> Fare seems to find RScheme is not good enough, so for him, an
> intermediary project to write a better Scheme seems to be needed
> before working on Tunes.
Well, it's not a problem of RScheme not being good. It *is* quite good.
The problem is that in its current state, it depends too much on
a C compiler and an underlying POSIX system to make a standalone
reflective system. Anyone feel free to prove me wrong.
CMUCL looks like a better basis for standalone use;
but it's all bigger to grok.

> Me, I am limited with my small 85Mb
> hard disk, I tried Linux Debian, but came back to the small
> Oberon system.
I can let you a few bucks to buy a bigger one, if that's the problem...

> But I have tried many languages since I first came
> here on my sister's bigger computer and found thah I don't like
> Lisp syntax.
The whole idea of Lisp is that the syntax doesn't matter,
and that Emacs paren-matching and high-lighting makes it go away.
You really manipulate the abstract syntax tree of a reflective language.
(only the reflective part was not developped in modern LISPs)

> My favorite language change every month.
If you get insight in each of your favorite languages, be sure to share.
Also, I recommend you get an account on bespin, and post your reviews
directly to the Tunes Review pages, thanks to CVS...

My current todo-list for Tunes is get insight about such systems as:
* CMUCL http://www.cons.org/cmuclp
   For an optimizing dynamic LISP compiler written in LISP
* Mercury http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/
   For an efficiently implemented declarative programming language
* Maude http://www.csl.sri.com/rewriting/
   For a reflective rewrite system

## Faré | VN: Уng-Vû Bân   | Join the TUNES project!  http://www.tunes.org/ ##
## FR: François-René Rideau |    TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System     ##
## Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for a Free Reflective Computing System ##
Knowing that 95% of what journalists write and say about topics you know well
is utter crap, how can you trust what they say and write on other topics?