moving on.

Maneesh Yadav cj@utpulse.com
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:23:00 -0500

Tom Novelli wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 wrote:
>
> > btw, is anyone still following this thread?  does it seem pointless, or
> > something?  does anyone see any benefits of the fundamental differences
> > between my ideas and the ones you have been working with so far?  i'm just
> > wondering when (or if) i'll get any helpful feedback.
>
> Well, I probably can't help much, because I don't really understand what
> you're doing. If nobody responds, I guess it is pointless to post all this
> stuff. Just write out all yours ideas in your notebook, and just summarize
> them to everyone else every week or so. At least, that's what I'd do.
>
> Today I've been working on a concrete "Unified object paradigm" where
> everything is an object... That includes variables, functions, and the
> object tables (used by the garbage collector). So I guess that makes it
> reflective. BTW, I was inspired by the Rekursiv processor.. a lot of ideas
> from that project apply to Tunes. Anyone who's interested, look here:
> http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/rekursiv
> http://www.saqnet.co.uk/users/beloff/computing/aieuropa.html
>
> I was also thinking about distributed persistent storage... how I'd
> actually implement it. It seems pretty straightforward for a peer-to-peer
> network of PC's. But it can get more complicated.. I used the example of a
> cluster of massively parallel machines on a LAN connected to the internet.

The one thing I've always wonderd about distributed storage is how is where is
the information regarding where the data  physically is, held?  I mean there are
a lot of nice paragmatic things about such a system, but in the end not only do
you sometimes want to know where a piece of data is, you want to put data in a
specific place.