OS design...

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:54:33 +0200

>: David Jeske

> If I compile a C program to LISP, how I do resolve all external
> dependencies without running the code? Run-time errors are the enemy.

What the hell do you mean?
If your C program uses libraries, either those libraries must have
equivalents built into the C->LISP translator, or their source must
be available and transformed first.
If you want to support C programs that use dynamic linking
of low-level C routines, then you may dynamically link LISP-translations
of those routines.
Again, the fallback case is to have a Linux emulator in Tunes.
And if you're warning me about C being able to do runtime type errors,
then yes, a correct non-trusting LISP translation will have to add runtime
typechecks. But since good C programming style encourages static typing,
most of these may be compiled away through type inference.

## Faré | VN: Уng-Vû Bân   | Join the TUNES project!  http://www.tunes.org/ ##
## FR: François-René Rideau |    TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System     ##
## Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for a Free Reflective Computing System ##
Brain, n.:
        The apparatus with which we think that we think.