Assembly [Everyone chill]

Tom Novelli tcn@clarityconnect.com
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:31:30 -0400

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 01:50:59PM -0400, Maneesh Yadav wrote:
> Look at all the issues, how's your mem protection model going to work?
> Selectors?  As for IPC are you going to have distributed computing
> concepts at the messaging primitve level?  DO you know the ideal message
> size?  What effects will parallel processing have on your messaging
> system primitves?  Is it still an assembler, you're making yourself a lot
> of work if you want to port it to all the platforms you want to..there's
> no
> large amount of device suppourt..where are you going to get all the
> hardware for this...what about plug'nplay...all this for a bootstrapped
> scheme interpeter? And you'll have time to write apps?

I'm only writing the hardware-dependent stuff in assembler.  Another
language won't help me deal x86 idiosyncracies, and portability isn't an
issue here.  Portability won't help with hardware drivers either.  As for
the compilers, the core is written in assembly, and the rest is
bootstrapped.  Porting that core to another machine is easy.

I started writing this system to run under Linux, but it's actually EASIER
as a standalone OS.  You get full control of the machine.  Under Linux I'd
have to cobb together a slow simulation.  This way it's simple.  Hardware is
nothing to be afraid of :)

btw, spare me the negativity... the things you say will never happen are
already happening.  Give it a couple months, people will be writing hardware
drivers, apps, and everything.

--
Tom Novelli <tcn@tunes.org>