TML (was Re: Now, what do you think?)

Tril dem@tunes.org
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:09:01 -0800 (PST)

Sorry for neglecting you for so long.. there are many things going on.
I'm not too good at doing so many things at once.  Anyway, here it is:
Let's start a discussion of TML.  Even though you did not release it to
the public, can we talk about it on the list?

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Thomas M. Farrelly wrote:

> Tril wrote:
> >
> > Would it be possible to get some more documentation?
> >

> I'm affraid there isn't much documentation available. You see, I'm a
> fulltime student, and there's only so much time in a semester. Currently
> I've been more concerned with making it work. Once I got some example up
> and running of what I wanted to do, I figured it would be alot easier to
> find interested parties, and to explain how I want the software to work,
> and why that's good:)
>
> On the other hand, I some texts describing different parts of the system
> or attempts to explain motivation and application. But they are in
> norwegian, for one thing. And for the other, they haven't been too
> successful on the explanatory side - not very enlightning, appearently.
>
> So I wouldn't know where to start explaining. That doesn't mean I'm not
> prepared to answere your questions, I'm just not in a position to figure
> out what your questions might be.

OK.  First, I'm sure TML is very powerful, and also probably pretty
simple.  But I am just completely confused when I look at it.  I don't
understand the syntax.  What exactly do parentheses mean, colons, braces,
square brackets, and so on.  I have no way to parse the examples you gave
me without knowing the meaning of operators and the precedence.

Then.. what are the building blocks of the system?  Are they symbols, like
LISP? Or are they metamodels, like Prism?  Or is it a text-processing
paradigm?  Could you give an example of solving a simple problem in TML.

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.