UI idea: MOOOS :)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel@lsi.usp.br
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:20:41 -0300

I am concetrating my Merlin OS project on applications for education
and entertainment. What does this mean in practice? Among other
things, that this system should make it easy for kids to create their
own games.

I really like what was accomplished with Logo, but line drawings are
hardly the thing to keep children excited in the late 90s. I would
like to keep its main feature - bugs in the programs were reflected
as problems in the drawings. It is much easier to see that there is
a side missing in a square than to find out was is wrong with your
Fibonacci number sequence generator. Games aren't quite as transparent,
but they can come close with the proper infrastructure.

I've done a lot of work on the 3D front (though my 3D engine isn't
the best for many games) but text-only MUDs would be welcome
applications for my system as well. The main idea is that kids could
work together and play together in this shared computational
environment.

And anything that is good for games can make some fantastic
presentations: people really wake up with I project on the big
screen what I have done with "Games Factory" (Corel has another
name for this software) after two or three talks in a row using
PowerPoint!

-- Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr -- mailto: jecel@lsi.usp.br
          http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/merlin.html