User Interfaces (was: Little-known OSes)

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:02:44 +0200

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 01:22:07PM -0700, Billy Tanksley wrote:
>> From:	Webmaster@slater.ch [SMTP:webmaster@slater.ch]
>> Subject:	Little-known OSes (OSi?) ;)

>> I was wondering if there are any "little-known" OSes that try
>> to advance the "look-and-feel" of the GUI?
My opinion is that Operating Systems and User Interfaces (Graphical or not),
are *largely* independent questions.
However, the problem is that all existing operating systems
(except perhaps overpriced proprietary LISP OSes)
mandate applications to manage all of their interfacing themselves
at a fairly low-level, with or without choice of interface infrastructure;
they are just _incapable_ of expressing interface-independent
(yet user interfaced) programs.

>> I looked for any mention of GUIs on your page but couldn't find any.

You haven't looked well, then. What the TUNES project has to say about
user interfaces is in our interfaces subproject page:
	http://www.tunes.org/Interfaces/

Note, however, that these pages haven't been updated in a LONG time.

> 	Ah, I remember another project; LUIGUI just started recently, but it
> looks VERY promising.  It's a project to improve Linux's human interface,
> and at the same time advance the state of HCI.

Hum. Maybe you should update our uilinks page on cvs with according links:
	http://www.tunes.org/Interfaces/uilinks.html

Hum. Maybe this page should be moved into the Review subproject...

[ "Faré" | VN: Уng-Vû Bân | Join the TUNES project!   http://www.tunes.org/  ]
[ FR: François-René Rideau | TUNES is a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient System ]
[ Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for  a Free Reflective  Computing System ]
The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Symphony number 9.
	-- Erwin Dieterich <erwin@cvt12.verfahrenstechnik.uni-stuttgart.de>