[Q] Experience with equational rewrite implementation in OOP?

Massimo Dentico m.dentico@galactica.it
Sun Apr 1 14:41:03 2001

Brian Rice wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on some of the last bits for the Arrows Squeak
> implementation semantics (haven't gotten to the development UI yet),
> and I was wondering who here might have experience with implementing
> an equational rewrite system in a system that doesn't support it. Of
> course, source code helps, and an OOP language would be most
> desirable to get the right design issues identified.
>
> I ask for help because I've been putting together various elements
> and testing them, and finding lots of bugs (the code factually works
> but doesn't do the desired thing). The Maude source code isn't
> available except the self-hosted evaluator, which does provide any
> relevant insight.
>
> What places should I look into? What suggestions might you have?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> ~

Do you have ever looked at Q? Unfortunately it's written in C:

"Q - Equational Programming Language"
  - http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mainz.de/~ag/q/

also, have a look at Funk, a minimalist (string) rewriting system
(in C++):

  - http://spcuna.spc.edu/~davis_d/computing/funk/html/index.html

This paper is also interesting:

"Equational Logic Programming"
  - http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~odonnell/OData/Technical_Papers/Equational_Programming/description.html

In particular, chapter 4 "Algorithms and Data Structures" (about
implementation details).

Another interesting link could be:

"Rewriting Home Page"
  - http://www.loria.fr/~vigneron/RewritingHP/

If you select "System" on the left, you can access a "Database of
Rewriting Systems".

I hope this helps. Best regards.

--
Massimo Dentico