[Q] Experience with equational rewrite implementation in OOP?

Brian Rice water@tunes.org
Sun Apr 1 15:26:03 2001

Thanks, Massimo.

>Do you have ever looked at Q? Unfortunately it's written in C:
>
>"Q - Equational Programming Language"
>   - http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mainz.de/~ag/q/

I've looked at the Haskell implementations, which have a restricted
version, and trying to grok a big algorithm system written in C is
not fun.

>also, have a look at Funk, a minimalist (string) rewriting system
>(in C++):
>
>   - http://spcuna.spc.edu/~davis_d/computing/funk/html/index.html

I've been meaning to look at that. It looks pretty damn tiny, and the
theory looks decent enough. Too bad the documentation's a little
sparse.

>This paper is also interesting:
>
>"Equational Logic Programming"
>   -
>http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~odonnell/OData/Technical_Papers/Equational_Programming/description.html
>
>In particular, chapter 4 "Algorithms and Data Structures" (about
>implementation details).

I have to feel pretty silly about this one. I mean, it's right in my
papers/rewrite folder :) But I definitely forgot that it talked about
that. Thanks.

>Another interesting link could be:
>
>"Rewriting Home Page"
>   - http://www.loria.fr/~vigneron/RewritingHP/
>
>If you select "System" on the left, you can access a "Database of
>Rewriting Systems".

Very familiar.

>I hope this helps. Best regards.
>
>--