whasup

RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 BRice@vinson.navy.mil
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:03:43 -0800

I'm personally very busy with my job. Lee Salzman is busy with school.
Between us, that's where Slate progress has turned slow.

Logs are at http://www.tunes.org/~nef/logs .
A prettier view of the same is at http://www.tunes.org/~coreyr .

I am unable to upload any of my new material (Squeak code and web pages)
until a month from now, at which point will begin 3 weeks of vacation when I
can devote much more time to this work.

In a year from now, my currently very restrictive employment will end, and I
will be applying to several major universities. Money should not be an
issue, and I intend to start a small business at the R&D stage at that time.
I am still doing lots of research and learning, but at some point I will
need to put myself into a formal research environment. At the very least
this will give me the opportunity to learn to create a proper document or
exposition of my ideas and the citing of references, etc. which is my
current major deficiency.

I already have two years' worth of university credits behind me, so
completing a B.S. in mathematics and/or logic should not take too long, and
I should have a head start in organizing my ideas for whatever extended
research I can get approved.

I also may have the opportunity to be at a major computer conference or two
this year (not research-centered) which I may mention specifically later on,
just in case people want to meet in person to discuss ideas.

No, this project is not dead. Fare and I have had some useful and
progress-inducing discussions, but obviously a major cornerstone is missing
for serious development towards Tunes, and we are both working to correct
this in our own available means.

Thanks for asking,
~