Politics and tunes web

Tril tril@tunes.org
Thu Jul 12 00:18:02 2001

Water has requested that I start a discussion on the topic of:

"Where should politics be in the tunes project, and in the presentation
of the tunes project on the website?"

I'll start by saying my opinion that TUNES should not sponsor a specific
software development project, at this time.  TUNES should be a project to
facilitate collaboration between the members.  There are no clear goals
that can translate to software development right now.  When goals become
apparent, or various projects start to become more coherent, then TUNES
may take on an official software package.

That means neither Arrow, Slate, nor my type system ideas nor anyone
else's projects will be called TUNES and they have to get other names.

I think considering TUNES as a piece of software, but leaving it unclear,
has put people (myself, at least) in a position of assuming that we (I)
have the same goals as others for a software environment...

In this light, my manifesto rantings should be taken as only my personal
goals, which certainly differ from some people's, and since TUNES is
inclusive, what I wrote should not be the TUNES manifesto (in its present
form).  I didn't actually get much feedback that says it is excellent as a
blueprint for the project.

How's that for politics?  I don't like clashing of egos and any one
person's software project can't be the system we want for TUNES.  A good
environment for working on research is one in which each person claims
ownership of his or her own ideas, not where everyone tries to create the
"ultimate system" or be the first to write code etc.

This message may be something I've proposed before; but if it's the
direction we decide to go, the page should make it clear that's what we're
doing.

--
Tril 0. Byte <tril@tunes.org> http://tril.tunes.org/
This message is placed in the public domain.